Saturday, May 18, 2013

Moms, their Kids and Facebook—Keeping in Touch



"Facebook has been a boon to family relationships." Paul Levinson
 
FacebookAs Mother's Day rolled around this year, an interesting article caught my eye online… "Moms On Facebook: How Mothers and Kids Keep in Touch On the Social Network."

Writing for the Huffington Post, Martha Mendoza tells the story of young professional, John Knoller who had refused his mother's "friend request" on Facebook for years, but finally acquiesced.

According to Knoller, he and his mother now have an agreement that she will "try not to make embarrassing comments, and he can delete them if she does."

The stat Mendoza shares is that 1 in 3 moms "are connected with their teens over Facebook."

When the social networking giant began to take off, and my kids migrated from My Space over to Facebook, I joined up as well with the single goal of keeping tabs on my children.
a mom on fbI admit; it has been both good and bad.

Young people can sometimes be over-dramatic, and my kids are no different. During those times of melancholy posts from my offspring I learned (in order to keep my sanity) I would just need to wait about 24 hours for the light-hearted "status updates" to return.

But, I'm glad to have kept in touch in this way, and it's been helpful as a tip-off on how to be praying for them at times when a phone call wasn't possible.
By way of advice, I'd say when you see those posts by your kids that cause you concern, don't be overcome with worry. Just give it to God, He is "able to keep what I've committed to Him…" as it says in 2 Timothy.

No comments: